Saturday, March 22, 2014

Guest Post by Author of PAIRING UP, Katie Van Ark: Favorite Books on Writing



If you're reading this post, you've probably at least seen the question before about what three books you'd want to take with you if you were to be stranded on a desert island. Though there are many, many authors I would miss, if I could only take three books I would take these three craft books so I could write myself a lifetime of stories. Egotistical? Perhaps, but these three books are worth it.

For developing great premises, I love Donald Maass's Writing the Breakout Novel. “In one-on-one meetings at writers conferences, I can usually stop a story pitch dead in its tracks by interjecting the following: 'Hold on, your protagonist wants to [insert goal here}.], but let me ask you this, if he is not successful, so what?'” (Maass 60) This book also taught me how to raise the stakes, incorporate psychology of place and social trends, and to develop my themes more fully.

Robert McKee's Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting is the book I wish I had seen in high school. Though I learned to basics of character, setting, and genre in school, McKee explains the relationships between these and other essential elements. “A beautifully told story is a symphonic unity in which structure, setting, character, genre, and idea meld seamlessly. To find their harmony, the writer must study the elements of story as if they were instruments of an orchestra – first separately, then in concert.” (McKee 29) Though the book was written for screenwriters, it is very applicable to novels. This is the book I turn to when developing plot lines and character arcs, the book that taught me about beats, writing a scene, turning points and climax.

Once I've developed a strong premise and have an idea of how the character arcs and plot structure will work, I write the first draft. Then it's time for the last book on my list: Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print, by Renni Browne and Dave King. “You can drop your amateurish look and give your writing a professional edge.” (Browne & King 4) This is the book that I use to polish my drafts. With checklists at the end of each chapter, it guides writers to check for showing instead of telling, avoiding backstory dumps and tangents, using the most effective point of view, creating authentic sounding dialogue and much, much more.

Katie Van Ark is the author of Pairing Up. Visit her online at www.katievanark.com or on Twitter:@kvanark. http://www.swoonreads.com/m/pairing-up

3 comments:

  1. Great books! I've read and used all but the third. I'll have to pick that up! I must say that I had to read Robert McKee's STORY twice. It wasn't as easy to read as the other craft books I've read. I learned most of what he taught from my marvelous mentor, Barbara Rogan. If I were to add to this list, I would say that Stephen King's ON WRITING is full of great tips, and is characteristically entertaining. I also think that the advice in Noah Lukeman's THE FIRST FIVE PAGES: A WRITER'S GUIDE TO STAYING OUT OF THE REJECTION PILE can be applied to an entire novel. Thanks for sharing! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and sharing, Jenny! I also really enjoyed Stephen King's ON WRITING. A couple books I'd recommend for YA writers like us are WILD INK by Victoria Hanley and WRITING GREAT BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS by Regina Brooks.

      Delete
  2. Jenny - I have (and enjoyed) those two as well!
    Sally - I haven't seen yours yet, think I know where to spend my Amazon gift cards now... :-)

    ReplyDelete